Ms Crafty: where craftiness rules supreme...

Friday, May 23, 2008

Once Upon A Time...

IMG_0274
Griffin doesn't know it yet, but within 2 days his face and business will be swollen more than 2x their normal size

...there was a couple who woke up obscenely early in order to get in line for an REI sale. They were up SO EARLY that their favorite local coffee shop wasn't even open yet (i.e. way too early)...

We waited in line sitting on the cold, hard cement until 7:30 when we were rewarded with tickets to be the first group in to the Berkeley sale at 10am. With 2.5 hours to kill, we decided first to get coffee (took FOREVER and had grounds in it - hate you Tully's) and then decided to go on a quick morning hike in Tilden park.

We got to Tilden and hiked in for about an hour, and then decided to turn around and head back to the car.

For some reason, and I can't remember how the discussion came up, we were talking about PE classes in elementary school and then I brought up Field Day. Where I grew up, Field Day was a glorious day near the end of the year where you competed in events some more like picnic games (3-legged race, some sort of egg on a spoon relay) and some real events like the 50-yard dash and who can kick a kickball the farthest. It was a lot of fun and pretty much every kid ended up with a pile of ribbons. All good fun.

Griff said they didn't have Field Day in Minnesota, but they did have a shoe-kicking contest. Wha? Have you ever heard of such a thing? Because I sure hadn't. He was all yeah, we did it in PE.

Before I realized what was going on and could stop him, he had taken his shoe, loosened it on his foot and proceeded to give me a demonstration of said shoe-kicking.

Unfortunately his aim was less than true, and apparently he didn't know his own strength, because his shoe went flying WAY up into the air and also WAY OFF THE TRAIL. Into the solidly overgrown brush.

I vaguely remember saying that perhaps it wasn't a good idea to go into the brush after the shoe. But it was too late, Griffin was already in there with one sock searching for his shoe.

I wish I had stayed on the trail. But no, I decided to help. I scrambled up the brushy hillside after him and even loaned him one of my shoes so he could CLIMB THE POISON OAK. I spent about 2 minutes in the brush, he spent 20 minutes. And still couldn't find the shoe.

In hindsight, it isn't surprising that the shoe couldn't be found. It was a tan colored hiking shoe and as it hasn't rained in ages all of the scrubby ground was golden brown.

So, we ended up wasting 20 minutes we didn't have looking for a shoe we couldn't find. And then Griffin had to hike back to the car barefoot. Not a single person said something to him. I mean, wouldn't you ask someone about it if you passed them on the trail and they were holding some socks and one shoe? I like to think I would. But nobody did.

We made it back to the car and realized that we were going to be late to the REI sale, if we could even make it before our 20 minute time slot was over. Of course, he'd need some shoes to enter the store...

Luckily, this was the only time I had brought extra shoes - some white flip flops with teal ribbon straps with white tennis rackets printed on them. What can I say, at 5:50am it was just too early to bother putting on shoes.

We made it to the sale 10 minutes late, but we made it. We managed to snag a couple of good deals.

Unfortunately, in hindsight, it SO WASN'T WORTH IT.

On the plus side, once they make shoe-kicking an Olympic event I'm sure Griffin will make the team and even win the gold medal. Then it will all have been worth it.

P.S. If there's anybody out there with a TIME MACHINE, could you PLEASE CONTACT ME?

3 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Blogger KB said...

This whole story just makes me cry. My skin started to itch in sympathetic response....

=(

I'm so-o-o-o-o sorry about this!

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is your skin feeling???

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Hazel Nootsmaak said...

"Shoe kicking." This explains a lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home