Ms Crafty: where craftiness rules supreme...

Friday, November 03, 2006

Topsy Turvy

A quick update on some of the more crazy events of late.

My baby sister had an emergency appendectomy this week. She is on the road to recovery and her dog, hubbie, and my parents are taking turns wrangling her through her recovery. Whew.



Second, there is a good chance I have developed an adult onset allergy to crustaceans. I simply love crabmeat. Steamed up with beer, vinegar, and Old Bay seasoning (then dipped in melted butter with garlic, black pepper and lemon or lime) it is one of my favorite indulgent meals.

I hadn't had the pleasure of chowing down on crabmeat in a few years...until this past weekend. It sure tasted good gliding down the gullet. But, about an hour later I broke out in hives all over my face and neck. And then the throat itching started. I downed my "emergency" (meaning chewable) allergy pills and luckily my throat never closed. So, I didn't need a trip to the ER. Whew.

On the down side, who knows what it is in that concoction that I am allergic to. Garlic? Vinegar? Crab? Beats me.

According to my mom, whose sage advice I always trust, with adult onset allergies for some reason you tend to be allergic to your favorite things. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Maybe I'll have to test the waters again. Perhaps next time we'll eat, and then drive over to the ER and wait outside in the car--just in case...

3 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger Hazel Nootsmaak said...

holy crap - that is all kinds of sucky. and it sounds like an incredibly delicious dinner! but maybe in 7 years or so it'll have phased itself out and you can once again slurp down juicy crab chunks and wash it down with a mango margarita...

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger KB said...

Jeez-H-Criminy! That is so freaky! I'm glad that you had those pills handy! Phew!

It might be worth the whole "body reset" experiment to be able to eat crab/mango/chocolate again. Are you thinking about re-visiting that idea?

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger ms. crafty said...

I'm considering it...seriously considering it...but of course at this point it would definintely have to wait until after the holidays. I needs me some pumpkin pie :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home