Ms Crafty: where craftiness rules supreme...

Monday, June 30, 2008

D'oh

I had a most excellent time this weekend visiting a sheep farm, learning to dye yarn using a one-pot method, snorgling baby goats, and touring a wool mill. Whew. Lots of stuff to see. Now I can fully appreciate how much effort goes into making a single ball of yarn!

Album of pics available for your viewing pleasure here.

Now, once you soak it, dye it and cook the yarn, it takes a LONG TIME to dry. When I got home Saturday evening my yarn was still in fairly soggy hanks. I hung it up in the bathroom over the showerhead and left it alone. But this afternoon I had too much time on my hands and decided to help speed it along.

So I took two of the four hanks and put them in the dryer. Now, lest you panic, please know that it was superwash wool. So that part was fine. I only put them in for 10 minutes.

However, one of the hanks managed to untie itself and became a 454 yard of giant knottedness. Seriously. One ginormously huge knot. Ugh.

I spent the next three hours untangling said knot, supervised by Monkey of course.

IMG_1995

The good news is that I am liking this yarn more in a ball than I did in the hank. I can't wait to see how it knits up. Look for a swatch in the near future!

3 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger The Queen said...

I've only gotten two of my four DK weight skeins wound into real skeins -- it took me nearly all day to deal with one of them. I'm dreading the next two skeins.

Note to self -- tie them better next time.

PB

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Renee said...

What a pretty ball -- I need to see in real life!

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger ms. crafty said...

SO TRUE. We totally should have tied them better, but then again that would have resulted in a more tie-dyed look.

Perhaps we just have to give in and dye raw fiber and spin it up after the fact ;-)

Renee, I'll bring it next time I can come in, but it probably won't be for a few weeks (travels and cat health issues...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home