Ms Crafty: where craftiness rules supreme...

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

I'm back!

And I'm already misusing exclamation points to disguise my utter lack of enthusiasm! See, with an exclamation point I seem chipper and motivated, when really I am neither!

Hawaii was fantastic. Of course, we didn't have any internet access and my cell phone didn't work, so it was my first real vacation from the outside world in years.

So we were on the Big Island, aka Hawai'i. You may or may not be aware that this island is the newest and has lots and lots of rocky lava beaches (and lots of pure rocky coastline).

The condo at which we were lucky enough to stay was right on a rocky lava cliff. It was pretty cool. At night the waves would get really large and smash into the cliffs and would send spray flying.


amazing sunsets


waves crashing against the cliffs

There aren't many white sand beaches near Kailua, so we had to be content with a smallish one. But while the beaches were small, the waves were fantastic. There would be lots of small waves, and then suddenly the skin on the back of your neck would crawl. You'd look up, and would see a wave straight out of a horror movie causing complete panic and terror as it crashed over folks just standing there asking for it.

You would just see stray body parts flying around in the surf as people were knocked around and into rocks.

I, myself, acquired some rather spectacular bruises from boogie boarding into rocks. Yes, it seems simple enough to avoid them, but those pesky boogers are sometimes hiding beneath the white sand. Which means you don't see them until they have already smacked into you...oh well...I consider them war wounds.


my war wounds

We also did some snorkeling. This time I purchased one of those ultra-cheesy touron underwater disposable cameras...of course, now I have to wait to get actual film pictures back...I hate the waiting...I'm so used to instant gratification.

Anyway, good times were had...and I'll hopefully have some interesting underwater shots to share.

I didn't knit at all in Hawaii. It was just way too hot. Oh well. I'm still working on my Debbie Bliss bolero jacket...hopefully I'll finish it this weekend...no promises, though.


gratuitous gecko shot


why wouldn't geckos like pineapple?

2 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger Janis said...

Wow! Welcome home. Love the Gecko shot. Remind me to tell you sometime about the 30 ft jump I made off of some cliff in Hawaii. You talk about bruised.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger ms. crafty said...

I can't wait to hear about it :-) I was the only one who managed to leave bruised and battered...in fact, I wasn't thinking clearly this morning and wore a skirt to work which clearly shows my hideous knee bruises...let the rumors begin!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home